In 1930, the Rev. George Jenkins organized a Nazarene church with 20 members. The church was located in the old grist mill. It was made comfortable with gas and lights installed by Mr. George Solomon. The church minutes read as follows, “On the night of November 19, 1930, Bro. G. M. Akins, the District Superintendent, Church of the Nazarene in Louisiana, was invited to meet with the congregation of Blanchard for the purpose of organizing the Church of the Nazarene. After the gospel message based on the first chapter of John, the rules of the church were read and 20 persons were received into church membership.”
It wasn’t long before a permanent home needed to be found. The church minutes read, “On the night of May 6, 1931, we carried our regular session of prayer meeting over to our new church. We left the small building presented to us for the use of services by Mr. E. L. Solomon. We leave with much regret, for the Lord has wonderfully blessed each and every person there. Each and every person expressed their thanks for the old building and sincere hopes for great times to be had in our new building.”
Over the next seventy-five years the church grew – with its ups and downs. In the late 1980′s it became evident that if the church was to continue and maintain its growth that new facilities were required. Although the old building was added on to and remodeled (to approximately 5,000 square feet) it was beginning to show its age. Parking problems compounded the situation. More people brought new ideas and soon 3 and a half acres of land was purchased on Main Street not far from the original grist mill site of 1930! The land was purchased with a 10 year note but God blessed and the property was paid off in just 5 years!
In 2005, plans were drawn for the new church building – almost 12,000 square feet of space. Construction soon was under way and completed and a Victory March from the old church to the new church was held. Over 300 people attended our dedication service on Sunday, June 4, 2006, which just happened to be Pentecost Sunday!
Today the CHURCH worships in a building valued at over $1,000,000.00 with an indebtedness of just under $300,000.00. We praise God for what He has done and what He is yet to do through this church for our community of Blanchard, Louisiana.
The church has also grown 6 pastors, in the past 75 years. 2 are currently serving in Texas, 2 are in Shreveport, LA, 1 is in McCoy, LA, and the other is the current pastor, Delbert Terry. Who, by the way, is a life long resident of Blanchard, Louisiana.